About Mount Evans Scenic Byway:
The Mount Evans Scenic Byway, just 60 miles west of Denver, is the highest paved road in North America. A day trip to the top is a journey that snakes and climbs through nearly 9,000 feet of elevation gain, from the high plains of Denver through five climate zones to the 14,264-foot summit of Mount Evans – one of 54 peaks in Colorado that soar to 14,000 feet and above – the famous “fourteeners.”
Tips for visiting Mount Evans Scenic Byway:
- Take Water – altitude sickness is real
- Stop at all of the “viewing areas”
- Bring a camera
- If you do not like the cool weather – pack warmer clothing
- Wear hiking shoes or tennis shoes
- Admission is $15 per car
- Have a driver comfortable with intense driving
- Plan for at least two hours for drive up and exploring
If you are looking for a great day trip when in Colorado you must add this to your list – hey natives I am talking to you too!!
Have you taken a trip to a Fourteener in Colorado?