This week I was asked to bring a breakfast dish to share to a welcome party for my new boss at work and I, of course, agreed. The challenge was to find a hot dish that could easily be prepared on our busy work/school mornings. I started doing some research for some overnight dishes and combined a couple recipes to make this delicious one dish breakfast treat.
Overnight Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Free printable recipe here.
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 pound ground breakfast sausage
3 cups cheddar jack cheese, divided
2 cups whole milk
3 large eggs
2 pounds frozen tater tots
1 medium onion chopped
2 bell peppers chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a skillet, cook breakfast sausage until broken up and brown. Once cooked through, drain grease from skillet. I used turkey breakfast sausage for a healthier version.
2. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray and then layer the breakfast sausage on the bottom of the pan.
3. Sprinkle 2 cups cheddar jack cheese evenly over the breakfast sausage.
4. In a medium mixing bowl combine the milk, eggs, peppers, onions, salt, and pepper. Hand whisk mixture. Once mixed pour egg mixture over the sausage and cheese in the baking pan.
5. Layer frozen tater tots over the egg mixture, covering it completely.
6. Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.
7. Once ready to bake – preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake casserole for 35-45 minutes. Eggs should not be runny!
8. Sprinkle casserole with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon – bake for another 10-15 minutes.
9. Cut into squares and enjoy hot!!
This casserole was a hit at work. It was so tasty and surprisingly easy to prepare the night before and simply put in the oven while we all got ready for the day. This will be a breakfast dish that will come in handy for the holiday guests for sure!
What are your favorite breakfast dishes to share?