Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
1/2 lbs thinly sliced deli honey ham, chopped
1/2 lbs. thinly sliced Swiss cheese
4 TBSP butter
4 TBSP flour
3 cups whole milk
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
4 TBSP butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried parsley
6. Once the roux is smooth and bubbly, slowly pour in the cold milk while stirring gingerly to make a smooth sauce.
7. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. Stir in the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, paprika and pepper. I did feel like the sauce took awhile to thicken but it will eventually. Keep stirring!
8. Bring sauce just back to a low boil and turn off heat.
11. Once melted stir in the panko bread crumbs and dried parsley.
12. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the casserole evenly.
13. Bake casserole for 45-50 minutes. Casserole should be bubbly and topping should be golden brown when done.
14. Serve warm and enjoy!!
Yum!! This recipe was so good and really hit the spot on a cold snowy evening. Next time I make this I will be adding a little more cheese, we love cheese in our casseroles. Other than that it was a great family friendly meal that gave us a good amount of leftovers too!
What new casseroles have you tried lately?