This year create a thankful pumpkin with your family to start the holiday season off on the right foot. Reminding ourselves why we are thankful for what we have.
Create A Thankful Pumpkin
Before it gets too late in the season make sure you head to your local fall festival, pumpkin patch or grocery store for a pumpkin. That is going to be your biggest challenge when doing this activity! I wanted to start doing this through out the month of November as we move into the new holiday season. So I had to remember to find a good healthy pumpkin that would last through out the month.
A good size healthy pumpkin
Black sharpie marker
1. When picking your pumpkin make sure it does not have any cuts or holes. This will help you make sure the pumpkin lasts all month.
2. Wash pumpkin and let dry.
3. On the top of the pumpkin write – “We are thankful for…” and the year you are doing this thankful pumpkin.
4. Every day set aside some time to ask everyone in the family one or two things they are thankful/grateful for. Write those words or phrases on the pumpkin.
5. Do this daily until Thanksgiving Day and at your Thanksgiving dinner read off what everyone is thankful and grateful for.
Teachable Moments For The Family
While this might not be the prettiest pumpkin to have on our table through out the month of November it is a perfect way to keep the importance of the season front and center in a festive way. Not only does it serve as a good reminder for what we have to be grateful for but this thankful pumpkin also allows for great conversions about what some people in our community go without.
This is a great opportunity for all ages and I hope to make this a tradition for the kids for years to come.
Have you and your family created a Thankful Pumpkin before?
WE ARE A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES.