Taking time to sit down to journal as an adult is a great way to relax, reconnect, and communicate what is on your mind. This is a great form of self-care and it can be super therapeutic. One challenge I have is finding what to write about every day. I find that writing prompts really help me get going on my journaling.
Writing Prompts For Adults
During this really crazy time of life, I have found that taking time to sit down and journal really helps me. I think back to grade school and remember that most days we had to journal, sometimes it was just about something that popped into your head and other times I was given a prompt. Sure, there are days that I can sit down and write for an hour about what is in my head and heart but other days I need help getting those thoughts and feelings out on paper.
Below are a handful of writing prompts that are perfect for adults.
Writing Prompts For The Present
- How do you describe yourself?
- List all of the things that made you happy today.
- What habit have you had for the longest?
- What do you feel about your body right now?
- What 3 things would you take with you to a deserted island?
- What is going well in your life right now?
- What are you most grateful for today?
- What are you currently worried about?
- If you could change one thing about today what would it be?
- What will keep you awake tonight?
Writing Prompts About The Past
- What is your first childhood memory?
- Were you a happy child?
- What was your favorite family vacation?
- If you could go back in time what is one thing you would change?
- What would you tell your teenage self?
- Who do you hate the most? Why?
- Write a letter to someone you hurt.
- Write a letter to someone that hurt you.
- What was your greatest life lesson?
- Who was your best friend growing up? What would you say to them now?
- What family member changed your life for the better or the worse?
Writing Prompts To Bring Mindfulness
- What do you believe in – faith?
- What is your wildest fantasy?
- How do you cope with stress?
- What can you do for yourself on a bad day?
- What is one thing that no one knows about you?
- How do you deal with anger?
- What song brings you joy from your past?
- How do I feel about myself right now?
- What are the three things I spend most of my time on every day?
- What things make me feel alive and fulfilled?
- When was the last time you really laughed? What did you laugh about?
- If today was my last day alive, what would I want to write?
Writing Prompts About Strength
- What is the skill you have that come as a surprise to others?
- How will you describe your biggest strength?
- What makes you unique?
- Write about a moment you feel brave.
- Describe your dream job.
- What support from others do you need to develop your strength/talent?
- Think of the last time you solve a problem. How did you do it?
Writing Prompts About Relationships
- What are the qualities you value in a friend?
- What is your love language?
- What are your feelings towards parents?
- If you could only bring one person with you to Mars on the apocalypse, who would that be?
- Who do you miss at the moment?
- How easy or hard is it for you to ask for help?
- Who are your favorite people and why?
- What animal would you spend the rest of your life with?
- Describe someone who makes you feel relaxed.
Writing Prompts On Finding Your Purpose
- How do you want to be remembered?
- What is your life purpose?
- If you can solve a problem of your country, what is that?
- What do you want to do for your kids before you die?
- What will make the world a better place?
- How will you picture yourself in 10/20/50 years?
- What would you do with $50,000,000?
Clearly, there are more writing prompts to consider as well but this list is a great place to start when entering the world of writing and journaling. Need some tips on how to start journaling? Make sure you read my 9 Tips On How To Start Journaling, it will help you find your writing flow!
What is your favorite thing, feeling or topic to write about?
WE ARE A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES.