Spring is here!! This time of the year when I am asked to bring a dessert I want something fresh, cold and delicious. Honestly, anything lemon flavored is the perfect spring dessert in my opinion. For Easter I decided I would make something a little extra than just our normal family favorite lemon bars. Homemade crust with lemon zest and a tangy but sweet lemon bar with fresh raspberries! PERFECTION!! Oh and the kicker, so easy!!!
Lemon Raspberry Bars
While this dessert is really easy to make it does take a little bit of extra time due to the crust and filling being done separately. If you are going to take this to a gathering I would prepare it a day ahead of time.
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
6 TBSP butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
zest of one lemon
2 large egg yokes
14 ounces fat free sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
6 ounces of fresh raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 8×8 baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar and lemon zest mixing until graham cracker crumbs are moist.
3. Press the crumbs into the baking pan creating a crust that goes one inch up the side of the pan.
4. Bake the graham cracker crust for 10 minutes. Once baked, remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
5. In a medium mixing bowl combine the egg yolks, and condensed milk until combined well. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest and stir until the mixture begins to slightly thicken.
6. Carefully fold in raspberries – do not break the raspberries.
7. Pour the lemon raspberry mixture evenly over the graham cracker crust.
8. Bake for 15 minutes and let cool to room temperature.
9. Once at room temperature, chill for at least one hour before serving.
10. Cut into bars and serve! YUM!
Looks amazing right? I have to be honest, my lemon raspberry bars did not hold up into bars very well once I plated them. BUT none of my guests complained about this special spring treat. While it does make a good amount of servings, we all found that because the lemon and raspberries are so tangy and sweet that you do not need to eat a big piece. This dessert will go far at any gathering. YUM!!