I believe that the season of Winter is the hardest season to be a mother. When the winter brings TOO cold wind and ice it is hard to keep the kiddos interested and using their brains! Don’t get me wrong, we watch our fair share of movies! (Bad Mom I know!) While I was trying to think about a craft for Jude to do last weekend while we huddled inside I remembered how concerned he was a couple weeks ago about how birds eat during the winter months. He wondered if they would have food when the snow was on the ground! Smart kiddo.
Here is what we came up with! It’s messy – there is your warning! Have fun and FEED THE BIRDS!
3 tablespoons corn syrup
2. Add the 4 cups of bird seed to the bowl. Mix well!
3. Make sure you cover your table with wax paper and press the mixture into your cookie cutters.
4. Use the straw to poke a hole at the top of your ornament. Be careful where you choose to put the hole, not too close to the edges!!
5. Let the ornaments dry completely. We let ours dry overnight.
6. Once dry, string the yarn through the hole and create a hanging Bird Seed Ornament.
We hope your local bird friends enjoy their winter treats as much as ours have!
Jude looks so proud of his creation!!
A. Beniot says
So cute we feed the birds a lot this would be a great project for the kids. Thanks for sharing!
Rosemarie Groner says
This is perfect! We're doing birds this week as part of our curriculum, and I was looking for a bird feeder project that they can help with. Thanks!
I just started following you. I'm more of a frugal blogger, but occasionally I delve into kids.
Looks like a lot of fun!
Is there anything in the ingredients that would hurt cockatiels?