Disclosure: I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of InfluenceCentral for the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council. I received a stipend to facilitate my purchase for my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
It’s a New Year which means most of us have lists of resolutions or goals to make the following year the best!! One of those goals that I have made for myself and my family is to be more conscience about the food we eat, especially snacks and desserts. One of my kid’s favorite fruits is Blueberries. Yummy chilled blueberries – natures candy. Honestly, they would rather have a snack of blueberries over chocolate and cookies – seriously, I need to eat like them more often.
Blueberries are delicious, beautiful, healthy, and simple. They are little blue dynamos that totally bring the pleasure of eating to your meal. Blueberries are a great item to add to your snacks, recipes and meals that will bring all kinds of healthy benefits to your body.
Before bed the kiddos wanted a snack and they saw the blueberries I had bought for a muffin recipe I wanted to try. Because they convinced me to let them have these for a snack I had to go to the store to buy more blueberries for the recipe I was planning on making! Silly kids.
Blueberries come right off the bush delicious – no need to add sugar or any other additives because these sweet treats are exactly that! A perfect treat! I always thought blueberries were a summer only fruit, which made the kids sad, but thanks to some amazing South American blueberry farmers blueberries are in season all year long! Boom!! Blueberries in the snow!!
Not only are blueberries easy to pick up at the local grocery all year long but the health benefits are simply amazing. Blueberries have just 80 calories per one cup – friends, that is a lot of blueberries, that will satisfy your 3pm sugar craving for sure! Blueberries also help you meet your daily recommended intake of fiber with 3.6 grams of fiber per cup. So tasty and so good for you
My kids not only adore blueberries but they are a bit obsessed with muffins. Look I love muffins too but frankly they can be a bit heavy and sugary so I have to find ways to make their muffins a great source of nutrition. Once I went back to the store to pick up more Blueberries I was able to try a new Blueberry Muffin recipe that has now become a perfect breakfast for the kids, AND ME!
Greek Yogurt Blueberry Muffins
Free Printable Recipe here.
2 1/2 cups flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups blueberries
1 egg yolk
1 cup sugar
1 cup plain non-fat Greek Yogurt
6 TBSP butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine completely.
3. Fold in blueberries and set bowl aside.
4. In a small mixing bowl whisk together egg, egg yolk, sugar and Greek yogurt until completely combined.
5. Add melted butter into the yogurt mixture in increments, while continuously whisking mixture.
6. Pour half of the yogurt mixture into the dry mix and gently fold it in. Pour remaining yogurt mixture and fold until just combined. This is a very thick mixture!
7. Pour about 1/4 cup of the mixture into each liner.
8. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
9. Serve warm or even freeze some for easy breakfast treats on busy mornings! Enjoy!
These muffins are the perfect breakfast food – protein, fiber, low calorie. Not to mention they taste amazing! These sweet blueberries make eating healthier this New Year so much easier.
Sweepstakes to start the New Year off right!!
Enter the Little Changes Sweepstakes to be entered to win:
- Trip for 2 to LA for the Little Changes Kitchen Challenge alongside actress, author, and TV host Alison Sweeney!
Valued at $3000.00–covers travel, hotel and entry into the Little Changes Kitchen Challenge.
- Runners up may win One of four $500 Gift Cards To Whole Foods or Lululemon for a refreshed pantry or workout wardrobe!
Sweepstakes closes February 16th, 2015 so go and enter today!
Good luck and happy blueberry eating!
Keep up to date with these Little Blue Dynamos:
U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council Facebook
U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council Twitter
U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council Instagram
U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council Pinterest