My family LOVES Mexican food. Like we eat it 2-3 times a week because it makes us happy and it is so delicious. However, going out for our favorite items can get pretty pricey. I am a pretty good cook so I decided one night last week that I was going to make chili relleno’s, however, I quickly realized that I had no roasted chili’s and so I improvised and the result was divine.
Diced Chili’s folks. It was what I had and it worked fantastic (plus the price point on the entire meal was 3x less than what we would have spent eating out). When I had went grocery shopping that weekend I snagged some Egg Roll Wrappers, Mozzarella Cheese and completely forgot the chili’s. Just has one of those spaced out busy mom in the grocery store moments. Luckily I had a couple cans of mild diced chili’s and so I winged it.
Diced Chili Relleno
Egg Roll Wrappers
Mozzarella Cheese Brick
2 cans of Diced Green Chili’s
Frying oil (we use canola or vegetable).
1. Chop the brick of cheese into 1/2 thick chunks
2. Lay the egg roll wrapper out flat on the counter.
3. Place a slice of mozzarella cheese in the center
4. Place a TBS of diced green chilis on top of the cheese.
7. Seal it with a dab of water.
8. In your deep fryer (or a pan of oil on the stove top), place your relleno’s and fry until they are a nice golden brown.
Viola! You have delicious crispy, ooey gooey Diced Chili Relleno’s. We paired this with some refried beans, Spanish rice and some green chili.
For those of you wanting to know more about Laura make sure you follow her on We Got the Funk! She has so many great crafts, DIY items, more recipes and great stories about parenthood!