Great books for girls in 1st and 2nd grade to enjoy and get hooked on. This is the age that it is important to spark that love of reading so make sure you add these great books to your child’s must read list!
We are a reading family and I love it. While we love visiting libraries, going to a bookstore and coming home with more books to fill our bookshelves with brings all of us joy and excitement. Jude and Teagan run through books like crazy so I am always looking for new genres, series and authors to add to our must grab list. Teagan is currently in 1st Grade but reads at a 2nd – 3rd grade level meaning books can be hard to find for her sometimes. I know we are not alone in this issue, so today I am sharing some grade level, reading level and age level appropriate books that girls in 1st or 2nd grade would really enjoy.
Books For Girls – 1st & 2nd Grade
The challenge is finding a book that grabs the kiddos attention. All of the books listed below are books that Teagan has really enjoyed. For any of these listed that are series, you better believe she is anxiously awaiting the next book to be released.
- Heidi Hecklebeck Books Series: Welcome to the world of Heidi Heckelbeck, an ordinary girl with an extraordinary secret: she’s a witch in disguise! Join Heidi and her friends at Brewster Elementary on their charming adventures as they deal with everyday childhood challenges…with a bit of help from Heidi’s magical Book of Spells.
- The Mia Mayhem Collection: Join Mia Mayhem on her awesome adventures as she enrolls in a top-secret superhero academy, learns to fly, races against a super bully, and figures out how to control her super strength.
- Narwhal and Jelly Book Series: The Narwhal and Jelly books are delightfully silly graphic novels full of heart, friendship and playful adventure.
- Ivy and Bean Book Series: Ivy and Bean are very different. Bean is loud and wild and goofy. She loves to be involved in games and poke her nose in other people’s business. Ivy is quiet and full of ideas. She spends most of her time learning how to be a witch. Each girl thinks the other one is weird. Each girl thinks she could never be friends with the other. But sometimes opposites can become the best of friends because they’re opposites!
- Bad Kitty Books: Meet Bad Kitty. He is not a fan of very many things, including baths, tests, Thanksgiving, and the vet. These creative books filled with humor, fun adventures and great illustrations are perfect for the hard to entertain reader.
- Owl Diaries Book Series: This series is part of Scholastic’s early chapter book line called Branches, which is aimed at newly independent readers. With easy-to-read text, high-interest content, fast-paced plots, and illustrations on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and stamina. Branches books help readers grow!
- Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books: Laugh along with literal-minded Amelia Bedelia as she earns money for a new bike, gets a dog, goes on a road trip, and so much more! The Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books star Amelia Bedelia as a young girl and feature funny family and friendship stories just right for fans of Judy Moody and Ivy + Bean.
- Critter Club Book Series: Have a reader that loves animals. This is the perfect series for her to jump into. With easy-to-read language and illustrations on almost every page, The Critter Club chapter books are perfect for beginning readers.
- Princess in Black Book Series: Fans of princesses and superheroes, rejoice! Here comes a handy boxed set offering an irresistible introduction to Princess Magnolia and her monster-fighting alter-ego, the Princess in Black. Humorous and action-packed, these early chapter books written by Shannon and Dean Hale and illustrated by LeUyen Pham are a hit with young readers.
- Dog Man Series: Dog Man is the crime-biting canine who is part dog, part man, and ALL HERO! Dav Pilkey’s wildly popular Dog Man series appeals to readers of all ages and explores universally positive themes, including empathy, kindness, persistence, and the importance of being true to one’s self.
- Little Babysitters Club: A fresh and fun graphic novel series spin-off of The Baby-sitters Club, featuring Kristy’s little stepsister!
- Thea Stilton Books: We loved the Geronimo Stilton books when Jude was this age so when Teagan was looking for a new book at the store the other day and we found the Thea Stilton books she was thrilled to give them a try. So colorful and creative the way the books are written, you must look at them for yourself.
I would love to hear of any other books that your daughter has enjoyed at this age level, like I said, we are always looking for new books to pick up! Happy Reading!!
WE ARE A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES.